Friday, September 25, 2009

Black Forest 2009-New Camera

I got the itch to try out a OSC (one shot color) CCD camera. Not that I was actively looking for a new camera, but when I saw the price for a CCD Labs Q453 (QHY8), I couldn't resist. I sold my mono SBIG ST-2000 and accessories and had more than enough cash to cover the purchase of the Q453 as well as many many other accessories. I even got the camera with enough time to practice using it before I would be under the pristine skies of Cherry Springs State Park. The practice paid off. It did take me a couple hours to get the bugs of my entire system worked out on the first night in Pennsylvania. Once I did though, I was amazed by the performance of this new camera. I was very surprised by its sensitivity. I limited the time on each one of my targets to one hour as it seemed that this was more than enough signal to produce a pleasing image. All images were taken through a Takahashi Sky 90 with flattener and Q453 OSC camera. All subframes were dark subtracted and flat subtracted. Aligned and stacked in DSS and processed in photoshop. The results are below.

First up is the Veil Nebula supernova remnant. It is a two frame mosaic with each frame consisting of 4 x 15minute subs. For a total exposure of 2 hours. I was amazed at how easy these images were to process. Reduction, aligning, and stacking done automatically in DSS. Stretching in photoshop was a piece of cake. Very minimal increase in saturation applied. No color balance needed. This was the fastest I have ever processed an astrophoto in all my years of imaging, and that includes putting the mosaic together. What a nice camera!

Next up is the Swan Nebula and the Sagittarius Star Cloud. This is a single frame consisting of 4 x 15minute exposures for total of one hour.

I decided to do another masaic on this, the North American and Pelican Nebulae. A single frame with my setup just can't show these two objects together in all their glory. I wish I would have gotten more exposure on this one. This is a mosaic of two frames, each consisting of 4 x 15 min subs for total of two hours.

Galaxy M33 tempted me next. Single frame as above, 4 x 15 min for total one hour.

I think this one is my favorite, probably because of all the colors...reds, blues, browns, all captured with the push of one button. Single frame, 4 x 15min, total one hour.

Last but not least, the andromeda galaxy. This target always attracts me. New camera, new scope means one of the first objects I shoot. I'm just fascinated by its beauty. Anyway, single frame 4 x 15 minutes, one hour.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome photos David. This is the first time I've visited this blog. Great job! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Yes if the truth be known, in some moments I can bruit about that I agree with you, but you may be in the light of other options.
to the article there is still a question as you did in the decrease efflux of this solicitation www.google.com/ie?as_q=accessory software file viewer 6.01 ?
I noticed the utter you have in the offing not used. Or you functioning the dark methods of development of the resource. I take a week and do necheg